Thursday, June 10, 2010

How-To No Poo

Many have asked me how to go about this no shampooing regiment. So the following is a breakdown of it.

Make sure you brush your hair out to untangle it before you begin. Dissolve about 1 tablespoon of baking soda in just enough water to make a paste. Apply this to your roots only; work it in and let it sit for a minute. If you add too much water don't worry, the paste will settle to the bottom and you can toss the water over your head after you're done and before you rinse it out.

To stimulate blood flow, clean your pores and get off built up grime, use your finger tips to scrub your scalp. Start on the top of your head then gradually work on the back of your head. Lastly, scrub the back of your skull and your temples/sideburns. This will result in less oil and more growth. After doing this, your scalp will feel great!

While scrubbing, make sure you're rubbing your fingers back and forth in short movements. Be gentle; you don’t want to break your hair. Baking Soda is very gritty and drying so be careful not to get crazy while scrubbing your scalp. Next, pour about 2 tablespoons of white vinegar into a cup and add water. I've been using disposable Glad containers but will be looking for a pair of cups to just keep in the shower. After you rinse the baking soda out, soak your ends in the white vinegar mixture then pour it over your head, let it sit for a minute and then rinse it out with cold water to seal your hair like you would when you rinse out conditioner.

I towel dry my hair then brush through it wet. I know, SO many stylists tell me not to brush my hair wet but I do anyway and the vinegar makes it so soft that I don't seem to be pulling out any strands. I have only let my hair dry naturally but I'm sure you could blow dry it easily.

I have only needed to do the baking soda scalp scrub every other day so far. I might spread that out even more once my scalp gets even better. It's great at de-greasing and as the week progresses my hair is a lot dryer, but not terribly so. I do, however, soak it in vinegar everyday.

This is truly a learning experience and I'm sure it's a little different for everyone since no one has the same type of hair. If your hair becomes frizzy try less baking soda or just skip days like I do, I've also read that some add a little honey. If it becomes too greasy try less vinegar rinses or don't apply it to your entire head and do just the ends. I know some simply use lime or lemon juice for this step as well. If your scalp itches, try the following essential oils; tea tree, lavender, rosemary. If your ends become dry try a little oil, any cooking oil will work. Vegetable oils work well for people and even olive oil for super-dry hair. Just a little dab on the ends seems to work the best.

Leave me comments and let me know if you try this and what your experience is. I'd really like to know if you discover an even better method. I'll also be posting some links on here to sites and articles that have really helped me along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment